As 2016 comes to a close and we look ahead to the New Year, we would like to express our thanks to you for your ongoing support of the work that God has called us to in Haiti. Together in this journey, we have seen God move in so many amazing ways. Please know that YOU are an essential part of this ministry that God has composed. The incredible thing is that He doesn’t need any of us in order to accomplish His will in Haiti, but He has invited us to join Him so that we can grow closer to Him, to know and love Him even more deeply.
It is our ongoing desire to not only honor God by being obedient and serving Him in Haiti, but to keep you connected as you are engaged in this work. Your involvement is important and is making a difference, without a doubt!
Here are some things that we believe are in store for 2017 that we will be involved with:
· A heavy-duty concrete bridge construction at a main river crossing leading into St. Michel.
· A dental office established to provide St. Michel’s first well-trained dental technician and a place where visiting dental teams from the U.S. can hold clinics.
· A new ESL (English as a Second Language) course taught to the children at our ministry’s orphanage as well as in one of the high schools.
· Getting surgeries lined up for children with club feet, advocating for them and seeing to their after-care.
· Helping equip disabled children with tools they need to become more mobile and comfortable.
· Home visits to assess health and nutritional needs for desperately poor families/children; implementing plans to improve their health and sustainability.
· Job creation for mothers that struggle to feed their children.
· Orphanage visits within the community to assess the health and well-being of the children, as well as any efforts that can be made to reunify these children with their families.
· Health and nutrition education for families.
· Educational, emotional, and spiritual support and development for the children in our ministry’s orphanage.
And of course, we have no idea of the countless things God has planned that we don’t know about. But we do know that our daily life, including discussions and relationships and living by example, will be a testimony to the love and hope that can only be found through Jesus. That is our goal, to bring the love of Jesus to the lost and better understanding of the Gospel to the believers there in St. Michel.
We do have a few specific prayer requests for you prayer warriors:
· For healing of the staph infection/open wound on Allison’s leg. Allison had a strange reaction to a bug bite in early October. It remained a blister until we arrived home at the beginning of November, at which time she went to the doctor and began antibiotics for it. It developed into a dime-sized open wound that would not heal. Mid-December she was referred to Wound Care, began more antibiotics, and weekly debridement. A culture indicated a staph infection. As of today, the wound is 50% healed and the doctor is hopeful that it will be fully healed in two more weeks. We cannot return to Haiti until it is healed, as the risk of severe infection is far too great while it is an open wound.
· For wisdom as we search for an intern to serve with us as a homeschool teacher for Brianna and to fill the role as head ESL teacher. We are hoping for someone to work with us (as a volunteer) for ten weeks during February through April. This will be such a huge help to us, and can be a life-changing experience for the intern. We also anticipate recruiting an intern for the summer as well as the fall. We want God’s will in this like everything else; we only want the person that He has hand-picked for this position!
· For healthy financial support for 2017. We currently are at 80% of our budget needs for pledged monthly support. God has been faithful in providing for all our needs with random donations and unexpected gifts. We continue to trust Him, but it sure would be nice (less stressful) to reach 100%. We need $400 per month in additional monthly pledges to reach that goal.
With us being here in Paducah for a few more weeks, if you’d like to get together with us to catch up, just let us know. We’d love to see you!
Thank you for your prayers, love, and awesome encouragement. We appreciate it so much. For those of you that support us financially, we can’t express how humbling that is, and we don’t take it for granted one bit. You amaze us. If you feel that God is leading you to donate to our ministry or become a monthly sponsor, and you’d like to know how to go about that, please get in touch with Allison or Brennon. A donations are tax-deductible.
So here’s to a new year…. 2017, let’s do this! May God grant us the wisdom, discernment, and courage we all need to tackle what lies ahead! Love God, love people. Amen!
Love and hugs,
Brennon & Allison Garrett