“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
-Dr. Suess, The Lorax

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Death, Love, and Really Living

Sitting bedside next to a loved one, knowing each time you see him take a breath that it might be his last, one begins to see a bigger picture.  The realization sinks in that the time has arrived that you knew was inevitable, but didn’t really take seriously – that this loved one will soon be gone.  
Good intentions and time wasted come to mind. 
When death takes center stage in our circus act called “life,” the opportunity presents itself to gain some perspective.  Perhaps even a bit of wisdom may develop. 
As I drove home tonight from the hospital, after visiting my husband’s grandfather on his deathbed, these were the thoughts and revelations I had:
We rarely express our love enough. 
We spend so little time with many of those whom we love.
We take so much for granted. 
There is no turning back the clock; the past is the past.  The future, however, is wide open.  It is a blank canvas, and we hold a palate of colors and the tools to create something beautiful….if we so choose.
We are selfish creatures, and we live so much of our lives for ourselves.  How much richer our lives would be if we changed that, even if just a little. 
And how much it must hurt my Lord, my Savior, my Jesus…..because this all applies to my relationship I have with Him, as well.
Forgive me, Father.  And help me to love like You do. 
Faithful, abundant, and true.         

1 comment:

babbluis43 said...

Very wise words for all of us to live by. Thank you for putting them in writing. My stepdad is a one in a million man that had so much to offer his loved ones. We will remember his love and goodness forever.